Thursday 8 January 2015

Fishing island Tai'O, Photo manipulation.


This is the original photo of some housing on the fishing island Tai'O. I thought this would be the most suitable to edit as it looks very cramped and packed with living spaces, just like how I wanted my underground city to look.


To begin with, I covered the backdrop with a dark brown to remove all out door scenery. This way I could work with it to make the picture look more 'underground'.


After that, I then altered the saturation and luminosity to make it darker and reduce the affect of natural light. This way I could make the image a lot more grunge.


Using an Overlay layer setting, I created dramatic shadowing and low lighting. Though effective, I found it to be too dark. To fix this, I used the idea of the lamps from my protagonist bio. 


This is the final manipulation. I really like how it came out as it looks dark and underground with a hint of decay and poverty. I think if I were to do this again, I would probably make it a little less dark so that some of the details, such as the rust along the walls, are not lost as I feel that they really gave the picture an authentic feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment